Nov 20, 2013

sweet november: pumpkin (recipe)


Tis the season for pumpkin everything. I wonder when pumpkin became so trendy? Of course it has wonderful health benefits, but when exactly did everything about the season include the word pumpkin....? I have no idea, but I can't say I mind either! I love pumpkin, I like using it throughout the year and especially when it's in desserts. :)

I cheated a little today - I'm reposting the pumpkin dip recipe that I posted on Flickr 7 years ago! (7 years ago! I was shocked when I saw the date. How has that much time gone by!) Since then, I've swapped out some old ingredients for more updated ones and adjusted the sugar content. This is such a great dip, and with Thanksgiving next week it makes a perfect appetizer!  


Pumpkin Dip 

1 container (8oz) of Weight Watchers whipped cream cheese (at near room temp.)
1/3 C. packed light brown sugar
1/2 C. canned pumpkin pie mix
2 T. maple syrup
1/4 t. roasted ground cinnamon
apples slices, ginger snap cookies
Add the cream cheese, brown sugar, pumpkin, maple syrup and cinnamon into a mixing box and beat with an electric mixer for 2 or 3 minutes, or until smooth. Cover and chill 30 min. Serve with sliced apples, thin gingersnap cookies or cinnamon pita chips.


If I have to use cream cheese, I'll use Weight Watchers. I don't notice a difference in the taste at all. The only difference, and it's when I use it for this recipe, is that the cream cheese isn't as thick (because it's been whipped) so in order for the dip to set and thicken a little, you have to put it back into the frig. I also found this new cinnamon, it has a smokier/warm flavor to it, so I cut back on the amount. If you're using regular cinnamon start with a 1/4 tsp. and then add more to your taste. I was originally using 1/2 tsp. 


This is the second time I've made it in the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure how long it lasts for in the frig because the kids have never let this dip stay there too long. Try the recipe and let me know what you think! I think you're going to like it! 

Happy pumpkin everything! 
xo ~ Tara

No comments: